On thyronorm 50mg. Missed periods after taking primolut n 5 mg. What are the complications?

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi,
I am taking Thyronorm 50mg and also regularly checking my thyroid levels for the last 8 months.
Recently in order to delay my periods (for a religious function) I took a Primolut N 5 mg on the second day on my periods. The period cycle didnt stop. But now I have missed my periods this month.There is no pregnancy associated.Could you please help me?
Hi, please send me the query on YYYY@YYYY and not on the email id provided earlier.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Could you please mention the date you got your periods last (last menstrual period)?Your expected date of periods this month? How regular are your cycles and at what intervals do your periods normally occur (every 28-32 days ?).

To delay periods ,Primolut-N 5mg three times a day has to be taken at least 3 days before the expected date of periods. There is no point in taking Primolut -N to delay periods , once periods has already started.

Primolut - N can cause alterations in the subsequent menstrual cycles, either periods can arrive earlier or later than the normal expected date.

Thyroid disorders can also cause delay in periods. However , that is quite unlikely in your case as you are already on thyronorm and regularly getting your thyroid levels checked.

Yet another possibility is pregnancy.

Kindly get back to me with the details I have requested .

Have a great day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow up: Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 10 hours later

Thanks for the reply.
My periods are regular otherwise and never faced this problem.
I had my periods last month on 20th Oct and it was expected around 21- 22nd Nov this month.
Pregnancy is not possible.
Other medicines I used during this time - clonafit 0.25 md sometimes for insomnia (but not regularly) and flutivate gel for acne marks.No other medicated substances were used.
If Primolut N is causing the delay how can it be normalised?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi ,

I feel you can wait for one more week. If you dont get your periods even after 1 week, it would be a good idea to visit your gynaecologist.

Anxiety itself can delay the onset of periods. I would suggest you do yoga and relaxation exercises regularly.

You have ruled out the possibility of pregnancy as a cause for delay in periods.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan