On thyroid medication. Got severe headache. What should be done?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hello,

I'm a 61 y.o. female. I take thyroid medication, Effexor, Trazadone for sleep, and one Zyrtec daily. My blood pressure has been normal. No other health conditions. I'm in good shape. Today and the other night I squatted down to take a photo. I got THE WORST HEADACHE! It came on just like that, then went away after about ten minutes after I stood up.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Worst headaches require investigation, even though it may not reveal anything serious in about 80% of cases.

A CT scan of the head along with angiogram (if necessary) is sufficient at this stage. We mainly want to exclude any problems with the blood vessels (narrowing or abnormal dilatation- aneurysm).

As of now, since you have recovered, there is no need to worry.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist