On thyroid medication. Experiencing heart palpitation and low BP. Any suggestion?

Dr. Aslam Lalani

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hi my name is XXXXXXX,
I take thyroid medication and recently when checking my blood pressure it is low. Last night it was 86/31 and I was experiencing heart papitations. (I have never felt dizzy) I got out of bed and went to my kitchen and open some XXXXXXX olives to bring my blood pressure back up. It went up to 110/64. Then I went to sleep. Last night the same thing, except it was
110/45 and I had heart papitations. So I decided to do some exercises and eat some olives. That brought my heart rate up and then I went to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Welcome to health care magic,
It is my pleasure to answer you ,
During night heart rate go on lower side and same for blood pressure ,but it will remain on lower end of normal range,and
will not cause any harm or not cause any discomfort ,
In your case your blood pressure is going down and you are feeling palpitation,
Palpitation can cause by lower heart rate as well as higher heart rate and in both case your BP may go down ,
person who underwent total thyroidectomy in past having higher chances of lower heart rate with low BP and palpitation ,
if you are not feeling dizzy and no chest pain , no breathing difficulty , and urine out put is ok then do not panic , stay relax .
From your background medical history and present problem i would like to suggest consult your family physician and do EKG first and do blood test related to your thyroid level , and any other test as advised by your family physician ,and as per investigation report plan your future treatment ,
If reports are within normal range and symptoms persist then do 24 hour holter study , which gives us idea of heart rate , rhythm , and any abnormality in rate and rhythm .
Take enough quntity of oral fluids (avoid milk)
Eat more fresh fruits , Nuts ,

if you have further queries i will be very happy to answer you
thank you