On throx 50. Trying to conceive. Getting pregnancy symptoms. HPT negative. Any suggestion?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Question: hi,

my head is reeling since last few days, i am using throx 50 medicine from last three 3 months as prescribed by my doctor.we are trying for a baby from last one month and i am having symptons like frequent urination,dizziness,nausea,tender breast.cervical discharge,fatigue,back ache and slight heaaches i hv taken two HPT which came out to be negative,my periods are 6 days late could i be pregnant or throxine interfering in my pregnancy,can i countinue tyroxine medi while TTC.i am obese
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 13 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, when you are suffering from hypothyroidism, you have to take the thyroxine for the rest of your life irrespective of pregnancy. One more point is, hypothyroidism itself causes infertility. So, it is necessary to become normothyroid before trying for pregnancy.

Now, your symptoms indicates irregularity in your menstrual cycle. Hypothyroidism can lead to irregular menstruation. But, when the TSH is normal after taking thyroxine regularly, then it is unnatural. The symptoms of head reeling and dizziness can also indicate an uncontrolled thyroid profile.

So, you have to do the followings
1.     Do a blood test for Beta HCG level. It will definitely show you the pregnancy status.
2.     Repeat the Thyroid profile. If the TSH level is still increased, then the dose of thyroxine should be adjusted accordingly.
3.     Consult a gynecologist if you do not have your period even after 40 days from your last date of menstruation. You have to be investigated for presence of any Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. If found so, you have to be treated meticulously for a normal pregnancy.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.