Owl Image

On telma 40 for high BP. Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Chances of pregnancy?

Question
Sir/Ma'am, I had my last periods on 24th Oct till 28th Oct 2012. On 2nd Nov i was feeling a little unwell and hence visited my neighborhood doc and my BP was a bit high . I was advised Telma 40 which I have been taking regular since then. I was also advised some tests where I was detected high cholestrol ( I am overweight , 32 yrs 5 ft 4 inches height 67 kgs weight) and have been on strict diet also since then. USG of my whole abdomen was done and revealed fatty liver, grade III stateasis and thickened endometrium on 19.11.2012 . Prolactin level 28.5 . My doc has now stopped Telma 40 and I will be having Amlogard 5 mg from today. But today it is 8.12.12 and I still have not had my periods. I have checked with a home test kit and tested positive . Is it possible that the result is due to medications and I am really not pregnant ? I need ur advise doctor

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Since your periods are overdue and the pregnancy test is clearly positive, you are pregnant. The test is not false positive due to the medicines you are taking or the hypertension. You can repeat the test after two days for confirmation or get your serum HCG levels evaluated.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: On telma 40 for high BP. Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Chances of pregnancy? 7 minutes later
thank you doctor. But since I am not keeping very well we do not want a pregnancy now . Can you suggest the best and safest way to terminate . I guess its quite early now and would not be problamatic

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You are more than 6 weeks pregnant. You can consider termination of pregnancy both with the help of medicines and surgical evacuation.
In both the cases medical supervision is necessary as the MTP kits are associated with serious effects as nausea,vomiting,fever,pain, excessive vaginal bleeding and sometimes incomplete abortion.
Please consult your gynecologist for the treatment best suitable for you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: On telma 40 for high BP. Missing periods. Pregnancy test positive. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am, Kindly advise the best method in this case . I am also not becoming sure of the pregnancy , if i am six weeks pregnant, then please let me know why the foetus was not detected in the USG . Doctor , I am really tensed and need your expert advise .
Would also like to inform you doctor that my usual menstrual cycle is 38-40 days

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
You had an ultrasound scan on 19-11. Till then your period was not overdue. It is difficult to detect a sac on ultrasound scan of less than 5 weeks size.
The thick endometrium is suggestive of preparation of endometrium for pregnancy.
To confirm your pregnancy you can get your serum HCG levels evaluated.
Even if your cycles are 38-40 days duration, pregnancy is likely since the test is positive.
You can go for a surgical evacuation after consulting your gynecologist.
Regards.