On straterra. Feeling cold and fatigued. Test showed elevated MCV and AST 100. What to do?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My six year old has been complaining of extreme fatigue and feeling cold all the time. He has been very irritable and moody. He recently started Straterra, because the school was concerned about his lack of concertration, ability to follow auditory instruction if more than one given, and said he looks like he is in a trance like state. We have seen his GP and his blood work only showed a elevated MCV of 100. His behavior is very inconsitant the last 2 weeks. He is aggressive and defiant, which is not like him. We held the Straterra for a couple days, and his affect was slightly better. What am I to do?Im sorry his AST was 100.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

From your query it is not clear for how long your son has been taking Strattera? If it has been around 2 weeks, which I make out from the post, then the complaints (fatigue, irritable, moody, aggressive behaviour) are the side effects of the drug. This drug is known to cause liver damage which may explain the raised AST level. I suggest you discontinue Strattera and consult your doctor.

Regarding your son's lack of concentration and not following auditory instructions, I am sure that you must have consulted your doctor. What what his view? At this stage I can recommend that he be evaluated under his pediatrician's guidance by/for:
1. Audiometry
2. Psychological assessment
Involving a child pyschiatrist may help in understanding the behaviour of your son in the school.

I hope I have tried to respond to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK