Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

On scribes 50 for chronic wrist arthritis pain. MRI showed pinched nerve. Any tips or suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX My question is in regards to pain management. I've been seeing a very good Dr who scribes 50 of 5mg oc IM per month for over a year for my chronic wrist arthritis pain. 3 months ago I suffered a new injury in my back. Now showing degenerative disc, protrusion and pinched nerve from MRI. I'm finding the dose my PM has me on is not working as effectively now with this new injury. I have good relationship however, with all of the scrutiny with docs in my state I'm afraid to ask for a small dose increase. (i am on contract so he is the only doc u will get pain meds from) Do u have any tips or suggestions? Im just going to honest & tell the doc my quality of life is not the same as before and ask him if a dose increase would help? Thx for your help!
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Thanks for your query.

The degenerative disc pinching the nerve does cause aggravation of the pain and specially present with radicular pain (nerve pain).Such pain is much more severe than caused by any inflammatory reaction.

I do not doubt that the doctor treating you would deny the fact.You can ask him for the dosage of your comfort, I feel its an obligation rather than a choice.

Do not hesitate , the reason you have for the request is a considerable one.
Well, for the condition you have in your spine , the definitive treatment is by surgery.Do discuss about the same with your treating doctor.No pain medications or local therapies would help to the comfort level.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor