On ranitidine 300 mg for gastric reflux. Getting tingling sensation and have dry mouth. Any ideas?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in GERD
Question: hi i have been suffering with gastric reflux for eight months now i am on ranitidine 300 mg in in the morning and before bed daily as well as 10mil of peptac after meals and before bed, but my mouth gets very dry and tingles and my saliva is very thick can anything ease all this for me
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX
You state that you have had GERD symptoms for eight months.
You have been taking an H-2 blocker, Ranitidine which is a good
drug for mild cases. You are on a double dose of this. The problem
with this class of drugs is, you can lose the effectiveness after some
time. I am not sure if your diagnosis was made after an endoscopic
evaluation to look for any type of erosions or ulcers. This is a must
if you have had the symptoms for over six months and still having
symtoms. Dryness of the mouth can be a minor side effect of the
drugs.
I would recommend that you discuss with your doctor and switch
to a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) family of drugs which are much
more efficient in controlling acid in the stomach. You will also don't
develop tolerance to the drug. These are now available over the
counter. Omeprazole 20. mg twica day is very effective. You need
to take the drug about one to one half hour before meals for it
be very effective. Other PPI drugs include Pantoprazole ,
Lansoprazole, Esomeprazole etc. All these are much more
effective in healing erosive esophagitis and symtoms.
I hope this information will be of help to you.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 15 hours later
i have tried omeprezole 20 mg twice aday but my mouth tingles alot worse and my saliva gets frothy, i had an endoscope examination about 5 months ago ands they said they could not find anything, have also tried 40mg omeprazole twice aday, but was not told to take one to one and half hours before meals
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I am glad that you did have an endoscopy and there was
no evidence of erosions etc. If you have already tried PPIs
and get no relief from it , your GERD may be a condition
called NERD (Non-Erosive Reflux Disease). This may be due
to motilility problems of the stomach or alkaline reflux or bile
backing up in to the stomach and esophagus. If that is the
case, you can try Sucralfate tablet or liquid a teaspoon three
times a day after meals.
ai wish you well.