Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

On progesterone 200 mg. Planning to conceive. Any alternate medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
My wife is prescribed with progesterone 200 mg twice a day. She is not pregnent yet but planning for 2nd kid. We found most of the tablet available are in the form soft gelating tablets which are of animal origin. Is it ok to skip this drug? Any alternate vega tablet or syrup available for the same?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The soft gelatin capsules of progesterone contain a natural progesterone which is given to prepare the uterine lining for implantation.
The soft gelatin capsule can be inserted vaginally where the drug is absorbed through the vaginal mucosa. This way you can skip taking the drug orally.
There are other progesterone alternatives too or you can get natural progesterone in the injectable form. You can get the appropriate drug and dosage prescribed from your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: On progesterone 200 mg. Planning to conceive. Any alternate medicine? 1 hour later

Thanks a lot.
Kindly suggest the progesterone alternatives mentioned in the response. I am assuming that vaginal insertion has same effect of oral administraion. Hope this is correct. Docotor has prescribed twice 200 mg in a day.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The same softule which has been prescribed for oral administration can be inserted vaginally. It has the same effect when given vaginally. Other alternatives are injectable preparations like Proluton. You can get these prescribed in appropriate dosage from your gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor