On primolut. Having prolonged menstrual bleeding. Will I get pregnant?

Dr. Arif N Khan

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Please write your query here
my menses wouldn't stop after 10 days . This time the doctor prescribed primulut n for 10 days. I will be ovulating this week. will I get pregnant
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please reply few questions to guide you further.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Kindly reply few questions so that I can guide you further:
What is your age? and what dose of primolut n you are taking?
what is your menstrual pattern? what if the duration of bleeding and frequency of menstrual flow?
Have you undergone any investigations to find out the cause for this heavy bleeding, like scan pelvis, blood investigations like thyroid function test..etc?
Are you sexually active?
Please ask if you have more questions, and do write back with the answers so that I can guide you further.
Awaiting your response.
Arif

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Arif N Khan 9 minutes later
1 am 29 years. and sexually active. normally its 5 days. All the test were alright.i was diagnosed of a cyst. I took primulut n . 1 tab a day for 10 days
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You have to use some contraception to prevent preg

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for answering the questions. Kindly continue taking the primolut n tablets, you should not miss a single dose, as that can cause withdrawal bleeding, which could be heavy. As primolut n is not a contraception you need to use any contraceptive method to prevent any unwanted pregnancy. You can use female condom or the male partner can use male condom for pregnancy prevention.
After considering your symptoms and presence of ovarian cyst, I suggest you to take cyclical combined OC pills from next periods for decreasing the bleeding and also to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Kindly speak with your doctor regarding this.
Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!