On premarin and deviry10 mg for artificial periods. Missing periods. What should I do?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I had a manopause at the age of 20 after that I had my artifical periods with regular dosage of premarin and deviry10 mg but this month I had stopped my dosage on 25th day and expected periods on 28-29th day but its been 11 days I had stopped my medicine and periods didn't come yet, What should I do ?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes ideally if you have taken the doses daily , regularly this month then you should have got your periods within 10 days of stopping your tablet .
Assuming you were not on any other medicines , not having any medical illness or infection , your periods are definitely delayed. To confirm the diagnosis you need to get an ultrasound pelvis and urine and blood hormone levels and consult your gynaecologist for further management . Meanwhile you should not restart the medications without your doctors advise. So please seek prompt consultation .
In case you did have slight spotting anytime in these last eleven days then you can restart the medicines as there could have been a mild bleeding / menses which can be possible with hormone disturbances.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 11 minutes later
I didn't have any spot from the last 11 days. I just want to know why my it got delayed. What is the reason behind ? I had a sex around 1st December so is it getting delayed for this reason ?
I am residing in bangalore right now and the doctor that prescribed me this is in Indore and it is not possible for me to go there right now, so do there is any other way to get my periods ?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 20 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
In that case yes, unprotected intercourse could be the cause for a conception or sometimes stress induced hormonal dysregulation could be the usual cause for such postponement .
Recently statistics have shown that approximately eight percent of women who suffer from premature menopause actually do become pregnant, naturally, at some point later in their lives. This phenomenon is attributed to the spontaneous ovulation of an ovary that is otherwise not functional
In case you are not able to consult your gynaecologist , you can first get a urine pregnancy test done and consult a gynaecologist in Bangalore for a pelvis examination and ultrasound.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 57 minutes later
I am suffering from POF disease that Pre Ovarian Failure, it is impossible for me to conceive a baby. If I conceived it, should I go for abortion ? and one more time I am asking the same thing do there is any other way or pill to get my periods as soon as possible without any test ?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
I did assume that you had premature ovarian failure. But please note that , 5 - 10 percent of women with premature ovarian failure do become pregnant, even though they have not had fertility treatment. Sometimes pregnancy can occur decades after the initial diagnosis. Researchers cannot explain why some women with premature ovarian failure get pregnant, while others do not.
Because pregnancy is still possible for women who have premature ovarian failure, those who do not want to become pregnant should take steps to prevent pregnancy like using barrier contraceptives. In some women with premature ovarian failure, oral contraception may not be as effective for pregnancy prevention as it is in normal women .
If you do test positive with a home urine pregnancy kit and do not wish to conceive you can go for a medical termination of pregnancy.
If its negative (which is more likely ) you can go for medicines to induce menstruation.
Provera is a drug used to regulate and induce a menstrual cycle. Other drugs include the emergency contraceptive pill, available in different brand names, and the day-after pill. Provera is taken for 5 to 10 days when you want to induce your cycle. The cycle will start 2 to 3 days after you stop taking Provera. However it's not recommended to take such medications without consulting your gynaecologist and without ruling out a pregnancy .
So if you had protected sex and conception seems out of question you can try to medically induce menses but if there is any doubt do consult a gynaecologist for further management .
I understand that you do wish to avoid unnecessary consultation or investigation but please remember that it's best to get evaluated to be on the safer side as your health is of utmost importance .
Hope I have answered your query .
I will be glad to answer any further queries.
Wishing you all the best.