On pill and had unprotected intercourse. What are the chances of getting pregnant?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi i just had sex for the first time and some of it was unprotected i have been taking the pill continously for 2 years now. what are my chances of becoming pregnant and how will i know? and if and when i should take a home pregnancy test and how accuate they are. or should i stop taking the pills and see if i get a period?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

If you are taking pills regularly in this menstrual cycle, then you have practically no chance of pregnancy. Because, when the contraceptive pills are taken regularly then chance of pregnancy is less than 1%.

You should not stop taking pills. Because for its proper contraceptive action you have to continue the pill regularly as like normal cycle.

For doing a home pregnancy test, first you have to calculate the expected date of your next period. You can do the pregnancy test on or after the day of your missed period.

The pregnancy test is very much accurate. But gold standard investigation of pregnancy detection is ultrasound scan. It can be done after 5 weeks.

So, overall, you have practically no chance of pregnancy as you have taken the oral contraceptive pills regularly.

Hope this information is sufficient. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Let me be more specific i havent had a period for 2 years since ive been taking the pill continously with no breaks. I guess im just really concerned how will i make sure im not pregnant should i finish off a full month of pills and then wait to try to get a period. Since i do not know when my period will start up again since i havent had it for 2 years
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

As you described, you have not had any period for 2 years. In that case you have to finish off a full month of pills. Make sure that you have taken the pills minimum for a 15 days period from the day of intercourse. Then only you can stop and wait for 7 to 10 days for withdrawal bleeding. But you may face some problem in having a period due to hormonal imbalance caused by the pills.

In that conditions first you have to confirm that you are not pregnant by doing home pregnancy test. The test should be done on or after 21 days from the day of intercourse. After that consult with a gynecologist for forceful starting of period.

If you want to have period regularly, you should take the pill for 21 days and then give a break for 7 days. Within this 7 days you will have your period. After that you can again star your pill. It is the most healthy way to take pills.

Regards.