On penicilin for tonsillitis. Noticed swollen and sore gums. How long does it take to cure?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, my two year old baby was diagnosed with tonsilitis wednesday and perscribed penicilin by thursday night / fiday morning her gums swelled turning purple and started to bleed when i brushed them or she had her dummy. up to this point she has had good healthy gums and brushed twice a day. Went to A & E as couldn't get into my doctors. They said stop th meds as they where not working anyway. Its not sunday and her gums are still swallen and sore. The nurse crossed out oral thrush and said that she will need to fight the tonsilitis naturally as its probably more viral than bacterial. How long should it take as we can't brush them and she wakes neary every hr in pain.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 49 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome to XXXXXXX

A viral upper respiratory infection takes about a week to clear up and even then cough ( following viral infections) will continue for a longer time.

Was your daughter given amoxyl or penicillin earlier?

What she has may be gingivitis.

Can you give her some vitamin c if available over the counter there?
Other wise you can give her some fresh lime juice (or orange juice ) which contains vit C.

If she has pain give her some paracetamol syrup to tide over the holiday.
There are some preparations available for use in the mouth which your doctor can prescribe tomorrow

Please get her evaluated tomorrow to alleviate her pain.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 minutes later
She was given penicilin and withina day her gums swelled up turned purple and her teeth bleeds still with slight preasure. I know that a virus takes time to go but its the gums and teeth that are worrying me as its now been two days since I stopped giving the penicilin with little improvement. It did say on the bottle it can be a side effect but was wondering how long before I starts to go bck to normal.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 22 minutes later
Depending on the severity it may take about 5-6 days or more to gradually subside.
Each individual reacts in a different way to the allergy- so we can nor predict accurately.

Dr Uma