On olvamol 40+5 mg for HBP. Precaution to be taken and diet plan to control BP?

Dr. Aslam Lalani

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Doctor
I am suffering from high blood pressure; it’s not coming to normal the reading is always lie at 130-140/85-100 I am on medicine olvamol 40+5 Mg, I take it every day morning my weight is 72KG and height is 5.6 inches and I am 28 years old and when I was tested for first time doctor suggested me olvamol (morning) and nebicard (night).5mg,when I take both I was undergone piles treatment and when I doctor stopped nebicard the piles stopped and its normal and I am only with olvamol medicine
Request you to provide me the dieting chart, how to control my BP, what precautions I need to take for healthy long living life because I have many thing to do in my life. What home precaution I need to take if my Bp is going higher and to control it

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
It is my pleasure to answer you.
You are 28 years old male, without diabetes or kidney or heart problem. In that case your target BP should be < 140/90 mmhg . Your systolic BP (upper side BP) maximum is 140 mmhg. Only the diastolic BP (lower side BP) is little on the higher side. Present medicine which you are taking is good enough. Please continue it.

The following changes in your life style can improve your life.

Diet:
-     Take good quantity of fresh fruits, fresh XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, pulses, legumes, nuts like almond, wall nut, soybeans, lentils.
-     Take whole grain food like brown bread, brown rice, whole wheat, oatmeal, popcorn, sea food like sea fish salmon, tuna, sardine, meat like chicken without skin, lean poultry etc.
-     Restrict salt intake < 4 gram /day .
-     Avoid saturated food item like fried food, ghee, butter, red meat, organ meat like liver, kidney and sea food like prawns, crabs, egg yellow if you are non vegetarian.
-     Reduce table salt and avoid bakery items, fried food, sweets, and ice cream.
-     Take low fat dairy foods like skimmed milk, low fat yogurt, and low fat cheese.

Exercise:
-     Do regular brisk walking at least 30 to 40 minutes /day or swimming.
-     Do stress relaxation techniques like yoga.

Addiction:
-     Quit any form of Tobacco if you are using.
-     Limit alcohol intake.
-     Say ‘No’ to all forms of addiction.

If your BP goes higher at home, for a minor variation of 10 to 20 mmhg , do not panic , relax yourself. But if it goes above 180 / 100 mmhg, please consult your physician / cardiologist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan