Owl Image

On novelon. Suddenly started irregular bleeding. Is it safe to continue this drug?

Owl Image
Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Question
I am using novelon tablet since 11 months but since 8 days I am havng irregular bleeding suddenly while I am continuing tablet.is it safe.what can I do to stop bleeding.
Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 minutes later

Novelon is a brand name of menstrual irregularities as side effect.
Irregular bleeding like inter-menstrual bleeding or spotting is one of them.
It can occur at any time in the usage period.
Usually it will subside soon without need of medication.
But if the bleeding continues better to consult your doctor once.
She can give you tablets like antifibrinolytics or additional dose of hormones to stop the bleeding.
Meanwhile you can continue taking novelon.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: On novelon. Suddenly started irregular bleeding. Is it safe to continue this drug? 3 hours later
After eating medicine to stop bleeding for 5 days . bleeding is not stopping.is novelon harmful if I continue to take.is their any other complications.what can I do to stop irregularities in periods..as my bleeding is continuing for 10 days.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

As you are having continuous bleeding for 10 days, better to consult your gynecologist and take medicine to stop the bleeding.
As this is a common side effect of contraceptive pills, no need to stop at present.
Continue the tablets as usual. Possibly the bleeding may not recur in next months.
If same thing repeats in next month also, with your doctor's advice you can change the brand of contraceptive pills or can go for hormonal injections.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.