On nitrofurantoin for UTI. Noticed change in urine color. What's wrong?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am suffering form UTI and have been prescribed nitrofurantoin 100mg.I have noticed a change in the colour of urine to bright yellow colour..really freaky yellow.I have heard nitofurantoin is supposed to make it dark yellow\brown.It some thing wrong?I am also taking flavoxate XXXXXXX 200mg.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 41 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern.

It is correct that when nitrofurantoin is taken, it changes the colour of urine to brown and it is harmless. Common possibilities are if you are taking any B- Complex, it may be cause for yellow colour.
In Jaundice yellow colour may be there.

Take plenty of water which will help even in UTI.

Let me know if Culture and sensitivity was done or not.

Hope this information helps, if you have any other query please feel free to ask me.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan