Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

On nekseum and cintapride tablets for IBS. Suggest some alternate medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14950 Questions
Hi Doc, gud evening, I am suffering from IBS for a while and presently iam on Nekseum and Cintapride tablets, I am 62 years male working in Media Broadcasting industry....quite stressful though. This medication suits me but I still have a constipated stomach every morning< what do you sugest? I live in India/New Delhi My email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Management of irritable bowel syndrome consists of dietary measures, use of medications directed at the symptoms that your are experiencing , psychological support to deal with any stressors or events that may be worsening the symptoms.
In terms of the diet the following is recommended:(1)fiber supplements such as citrucel or fibercon
(2) using alot of water
(3)avoiding caffeine which can worsen symptoms
(4)avoiding legumes (beans,peas,lentils) may reduce bloating
(5)a few persons with IBS have gluten intolerance and may have to avoid foods with high levels
(6) symptoms may be worsened by the use of milk and milk products in some persoms so it may be neccessary to avoid these

Some persons with IBS may have to deal with alot of stressors and sometimes psychological assistance is required because stress has been shown to sometimes trigger the symptoms.Stress reduction or management has been shown to actually improve symptoms.
In terms of medications, there are different type of laxatives that are approved to treat IBS associated constipation. The bulk laxatives and newer ones that have recently been approved.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor