On my echocardiogram six months ago it said I have

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: On my echocardiogram six months ago it said I have right to left transpulmonary shunting at rest and valsalva. Could this be caused by an AVD or PVD or by capillary shunting via pulmonary capillaries that are adjacent to unventilated alveoli? Should I have a TEE to determine if there is a defect that needs to be fixed? My symptoms are recurrent strokes and TIAs.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I reviewed carefully your cardiac ultrasound report and would explain that there is evidence of a transpulmonary shunt from the right to the left, but without any specifications regarding the location of this abnormal communication.

If this shunt would exist in the level of a atrial or interventricular septum or at the level of great blood vessels, this would have been described in the echo report.

So, there is a certain probability that its location is next to the small vessels.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a TEE in order to examine better the heart anatomy and investigate for any possible malformations .

From the other hand, in order to correctly explore at the level of smaller blood vessels, it would be advisable to undergo a cardiac MRI or a chest angio CT scan.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist