On medicine for cold and cough. Rashes appeared around throat and started sweating. Is it dengue?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: DR
My daughter cold and cough for 7 days
Initial treatment
Tminic Syrup ( 5 ml- 5ml-5 ml) with montair kid plus.
Then after 2 days
Dr gave
Brozeet Syrup( 5ml * 3times), montair kid plus, azithral 200 liquid ( 5ml before food once)
Result : voice choked, and continuos coughing.
So again dr gave her 2 days back
Nebulisation with salbair, montair kid plus , aldec dc, Broncex syrup and Hiclav kid, Dolo650 ( 1/2-1/2-1/2)
Skin rashes in and around throat and sweeting, although continuous coughing has subsided.
We feared due to rash, went to another dr yesterday.
No fever is there, slight jt pains in leg and neck, dr told due to hiclav kid rashes has come, these are all itching type.he gave some lotion. changed the antibiotic.
No fever but my daughter is weak all other activities are normal.
Is it a dengue ?
What to do?
At present we are giving her Boncex syrup, hiclav kid ( two times), montair kid, aldec dc, Dolo 650 we r not giving her. She is 6 yrs , 20 kg wt.
Pl suggest us.
She is going to school.
Dr told yesterday that dengue rashes will be nonitching type.

Pl suggest us. Food normally taking, is it require to go for any dengue test?

MY daughter is sweeting too much in the neck region and head from her 2 yrs of age. Is it normal.

PL advise urgetly.

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Good morning,

I have gone through your query in detail.

According to the symptoms you have mentioned, your child might be having a viral fever with rash and upper rashes are increasing, if the fever is not subsiding, then specific lab investigations would be required. Complete blood count, Dengue Ns1 Dengue for IGg and IGm .

Regarding your query of sweating over the forehead and neck, if it is not accompanied by breathlessness or bluish discoloration of lips and nails, then do not worry. For a 6-year-old child, the weight of 20 kilos is normal. So, the excessive sweating will not pose any problem.

Thanks for writing to us, hope i have answered your query.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 2 hours later
Dr

Tahnk u very much.

Now,

Whether Upper Respiratory infection and HICLAV Kid has caused the rash to develop, the rashes have not increased so far. How many days to give Hiclav Kid?

Is it good to give montair kid plus for longer duration, as our peditrician suugests to give it for 1 month.

What is the reason for voice choked. And with nebulisation it is becoming clear.

Fever was never there , only on XXXXXXX one time we got 98.8 deg F

Pl revert back for my queries dr.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 2 hours later
Good evening,

Thanks for follow up.

According to me , the rashes is mostly attributed to viral fever, not due to Hiclav medicine, it is amoxycillin based medicine , so unlikely to cause rashes, the duration of which may range from 5 to 7 days.

Safe to give montairplus medicine for 1 month, there wont be any adverse effects if given in a correct dosage. Do not worry

The change of voice is also attributed due to the upper respiratory tract infection.

So my suggestion is not to worry if the child is active , play full, normal voice and if there are no rashes.

Hope i have answered your query.

regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 15 hours later
Dr Tahnk you for your guidance.

Now my daughter other symptoms have gone away except little pain in knee & neck

and LIITLE SCATTERED REDISH RASHES HAVE DEVELOPED IN STOMACHE AREA AND ITCHING.

EARLIER IT WAS IN NECK REGION AND TAHT SUBSIDED .

Dr no fever and cough, continuing the same medicines. Sometimes vomiting tendency is there. else she is normal.

Pl suggest , because dr here suggested CBC, PCV, PLATLETCOUNT TO TEST.

With minimum cost whether to test only for dengue stage 1. Then what test. As u suggested the tests that will cost around 2500 Rs here in XXXXXXX

Or is it a dengue symtoms, the rashes.

BEcuase of cold, she didn.t take proper bath for past 7 days.

Pl suggest us.

Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 45 minutes later
Good morning,

As your doctor suggested , you can get the CBC(platelet count & pcv included ), DENGUE IGg and IGm and NS1 can be skipped. It can be done only if platelet counts are low.
By this way you can save upon the money spent. But along with the CBC test i would recommend you to get a WIDAL test to rule out typhoid and a SMEAR FOR MP , to rule out malaria infection.

Kindly review back with the reports.

REGARDS.