On medication for hypothyroidism after delivery. What should I do to control weight gain?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have a 8 month old son who was born in march. During pregnancy my thyroid was normal and was tested on 2 separate occassions. After pregnancy i got full blood profile done and in that my TSH level came out to be 65. The doctor prescribed 75 mcg dosage of Thyronorm , and a repeat test after 1 month. After a month my TSH dropped to 3.02. I have been prescribed to continue with the same dosage. Just wanted to know how long will this medication continue and will the dosage be brought down gradually or not? Also i want to know how to keep the weight undercontrol. I dont want to gain any weight owing to this Hypothyroidism. So are there ways to keep that undercontrol. I havent gained any weight since the time the thyroid disorder got detected.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a query.

As you described, you have done your last thyroid profile 6 – 7 months ago, right? You have to do a thyroid profile test now.

When, you are suffering from hypothyroidism, your body cannot produce thyroid hormone in adequate amount. For this, you were prescribed to take thyroid supplements. So, you have to take this medicine for rest of your life. If you stop this medicine, the condition will revert back.

One major step to treat hypothyroidism, is Monitoring of thyroid profile. As you have a history of very high TSH level, you must do a thyroid profile test every three months. Later on, when you are proved to have steady thyroid profile with this 75 mcg thyroxine, you can do the test every 6 months. In our clinical experience, we often face patients with fluctuating TSH level. That becomes a problem. So, to prevent this situations you have to monitor your thyroid profile regularly.

This monitoring will help you to keep your thyroid profile under control. When, the thyroid profile is under control, you do not gain any weight due to this hypothyroidism.

So, to keep your weight under control you have to keep monitoring the thyroid profile as I previously described and continue the medication for rest of your life.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.