On medication for high BP. TMT, ECHO and ECG test showed normal. What to do?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my age is 49, having high BP from my childhood days, from last 10 years i am on medication recently i am on concor5 once a day, Ramistar 10 twice in a day, amlodipine 10 one tab in a day, still BP RUNNING IS 160/80. My systolic always running high>140 km, though diastolic maintaing <90mg. Iam very much conscious of my food, Brisk walking 30 minutes daily, taking atorva 10 and aspirin 75 once daily, weight maintained less than 75 kg with a height of 5ft 8inch.
i have done test like TMT, ECHO, ECG etc ,all normal.
pl suggest waht to do
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query on Healthcare magic.

I am very impressed with the good care you are taking of your health and I congratulate you for that.

Regarding hypertension (high BP), I wish to reassure you that if it is adequately treated, it does not pose any health hazards.

For you the target BP is systolic 150 mmHg (100+age), and diastolic <90 mmHg. So, you are almost there, you just need to bring the systolic BP a little bit down. This can be achieved by increasing one of the BP medications. Please discuss this with your doctor during your next visit.

Please continue the rest of treatment as at present, including your diet and exercise.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM