On medication for ADHD. Can vyvanse cause a peptic ulcer?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can vyvanse (2-50mg daily) cause a peptic ulcer? If so, what actions can I take to heal the ulcer while still taking my medication for ADHD.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later
Vyvanse contains lisdexamfetamine which is unlikely to cause peptic ulcer the reported incidence is as low as 0.02% which is also not proven.
It is known to cause side effects like abdominal pain and nausea which may simulate peptic ulcer disease.
However if you have associated vomiting, black colored stools or burning in stomach or chest it could be due to peptic ulcer disease co existent unlikely due to Vyvanse, then you can get an endoscopy done to confirm the disease.
If these symptoms are not there still you are worried then can try taking antacids for 2 weeks and see if you are better.
Hope this answers your query.
Please do reply in case of any further questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.