Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

On medication for ADD. How to get rid of this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
I am 43 female and feel like I have ADD and want to know how I can get a dr to let mr try Aderall. My mind races at all times and it always has I have to do everything at a very fast pace to try and keep up with my thoughts. I don't get much sleep and drugs that make most people drosey make me wide away like NyQuil or Benadryl or even kolonopin. I have a stressfull job and need to be able to concentrate to get things done but my mind is all over the place which causes me extreme anxiety and I can no longer eat food due to the high anxiety. I have had many test done and nothing seems to be wrong with my upper or lower GI track just anxiety which I get from not being able to focus and get things accomplished. I'm on a crazy wheel and can't get off.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 35 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are going through a very stressful time due to your problems.

You will need a detailed psychological assessment done by a psychiatrist to confirm a diagnosis of ADD before any starting medication like Adderall.

Your symptoms such as inability to relax, racing thoughts, difficulty in concentrating, etc. could also be indicative of an generalized anxiety disorder. You also mention that you have high levels of anxiety and moreover, your IBS / gastric symptoms could also be a manifestation of an underlying anxiety disorder. Remember, anxiety can manifest itself with not only psychological symptoms, but with physical symptoms also.

Since your symptoms are causing you extreme distress and day-to-day dysfunction, and you having difficulty managing your stress also, I would strongly advise you consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment and further treatment. There are effective treatment options - in the form of medication or counselling / psychotherapy which will help you overcome your problems.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Pychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor