On insulin for gestational diabetes. Fasting sugar level is 105. What is the cause and cure?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: Hi,I just wanted to know that I have delivered a baby 22 days back I.e. on 6th November.i was suffering from gestational diabetes and was on insulin since the 8th month of my pregnancy.now I have been checking my sugar levels regularly on accuchek active and the readings are given below.
Date. Reading. Time of the reading
9/11/12. 132. Pp
11/11/12. 99. Pp
12/11/12. 97. Fasting
13/11/12. 90. Random
20/11/12. 92. Random
24/11/12. 101. Fasting
24/11/12. 121. Random
27/11/12. 105. Fasting
My main concern is my last fasting reading I.e. 105.what could be the reason for the high fasting reading?the doctor I was consulting said that accuchek active shows the readings higher by 10% is that true?can I still control my fasting sugar levels by exercising?are the sugar levels high because I haven't lost all the weight I had gained during pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that a single high reading of fasting blood sugar (FBS) is not something to worry about.

You are correct, the accucheck can show the readings higher by 10%. So, it has to be verified with a laboratory FBS also.

Moreover, those who have gestational diabetes, can have occasional high sugars for upto six weeks after delivery.

In any case, you can get better with regular exercises, good diet and weight loss.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 44 hours later
Hi
Thanks for a speedy revert.i have one more query,please refer the link given below and suggest can I take 1 and a half teaspoon of cinnamon in milk at nights to reduce my fasting blood sugar?
WWW.WWWW.WW
The other query is can I take fenugreek seeds soaked in water overnight to control fbs?if yes in what quantity and at what time should I take them?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Cinnamon and fenugreek seeds, both have proven efficacy in reducing blood sugars in diabetic patients.

For you, I would suggest only one of them- preferably cinnamon in milk- as you are not a confirmed diabetic and sugars are only mildly elevated.

Also, please check your blood sugars at regular intervals.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for your advice.but jut incase I want to take fenugreek seeds,what is the suitable quantity and time for taking it?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
You can soak 4-5 seeds of fenugreek in water overnight, use it once daily in mornings.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM