Owl Image

On implanon and have irregular bleeding. Medicine to reduce the bleeding?

Question
Hi, I'm on implanon and having irregular bleeding, how can I stop the bleeding or at least reduce it?
Are there any drugs that could be administered to reduce the bleeding?
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The irregular bleeding with an implanon is usually seen due to a uterine infection, endometrial irritation and hormonal imbalance.
If it has been more than a week of bleeding which is causing you change more than 3 pads per day, you should get yourself examined by your Gynecologist at the earliest. If the bleeding has been for less than a week, you can wait for the bleeding to stop on its own.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding along with hemostatic agents like ethamsylate or tranexaemic acid . Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of proper therapy.
Meanwhile start taking iron supplements to combat excessive blood loss from your body.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: On implanon and have irregular bleeding. Medicine to reduce the bleeding? 17 hours later
I have had it for three months now and have been bleeding on and off for those three months, like two weeks each month. Is there anything I can take to stop or reduce the bleeding?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
To reduce the bleeding you need hemostatics like ethamsylate and tranexaemic acid. Hormonal tablets may also be needed. All these are prescription only drugs. You can get these prescribed from your gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: On implanon and have irregular bleeding. Medicine to reduce the bleeding? 6 hours later
Does doxycycline work?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Doxycycline is an antibiotic. It will not help you to reduce the bleeding. Please do not self medicate yourself.
Regards.