On implanon. Getting electric sensation in breast. How to get relief?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Hello i m on implanon nd will expire next year may
But my breast feeling like electric shok
Nd my XXXXXXX i feel different i didn't had this before n my period was late nd differe
I had full blood count and doctor want to see me
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So, trying to make sense of your symptoms, here is what I am hearing:

You are a 32 year old with an implanon in place that is still active. You are have breast discomfort, and your cycle is "late and different". So it sounds like, to some extent, you are still getting a period or bleeding on the implanon.

You will have to correct me if I am wrong. First, it is not unusual to get some irregular bleeding while on this form of birth control. Second, it is not unusual to still "cycle" to some extent and this may lead to some symptoms like you are experiencing. Here is what I would suggest:

1. Call your doctor and make sure that they did a PREGNANCY TEST!
2. Ask your doctor for an ultrasound
3. Write down any other symptoms that might be going on, even if you think they are unrelated (constipation, diarrhea, difficulty or painful urination, etc)

I hope this helps!!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later
Can u tell me if i can get pregnant on implanon
last months i had very light colour period nd only 2 days and after that i start having this symptoms with breast i had this after birth my child
My implanon will expire in may next year
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 minutes later
Yes, you can get pregnant while on implanon. As with any birth control, the chances are greatly reduced but they are NOT zero - so this should always be checked in the setting of abnormal bleeding and pelvic symptoms.

So make sure that someone checked a pregnancy test, and then check it again in 1-2 weeks!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Can u tell me what kind of full blood result can be if i
m pregnant
I did full blood count what is have to be high or low to see if i m pregnant
I got list of my FBC
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
The blood test for pregnancy is called "HCG".
A typical "full blood count" does NOT include an HCG.
Call your doctor and ask if an HCG test was done!!

Good luck!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 31 minutes later
I did rang to clinic about my blood test result and they told me that is FBC is normal no action
Then they told me that i have to book appointment to see doctor to discus something
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
Full Blood Count (or FBC as you refer to it) does not include a pregnancy test. It is unfortunate that you have to book an appointment to get this sorted out, but you obviously have no choice.

Your other option is to buy a pregnancy test and do a urine test at home. But given your other symptoms, I would recommend booking the appointment!

Good luck to you!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
On the FBC result letter report comments: checl . palpaitions
What is that mean?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 minutes later
I have no idea what that means. As stated above, it is unfortunate that you need to book an appointment to review these results. Your doctor should be willing to go over the results by phone.

Call and book the appointment. Ask again if there is any way that a doctor can go over the results by phone so you do not have to make an extra trip in.

Again, good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Can u tell me what can prevent implanon from working?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Implanon is a decent form of birth control. They are not perfect. Sometimes women will still ovulate, and sometimes sperm will get to that egg if the timing is right.

There is likely nothing that you have done to make it not work right. But you are jumping to the conclusion that it is not working - you need to go talk with your doctor and follow my advice above.

Thank you for allowing me to help you - if you have additional questions, please post a new question within the Premium Service. Good luck!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 days later
I got appoitment with doctor tomorrow but my period didnt came and my breast came bigger and still the same pain like electric shok
Can u tell me it is possibility of pregnancy if i am on inplanon 3 rd year will expire next year may
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 hours later
While pregnancy is very unlikely, it is always remotely possible. Check a pregnancy test if this will put your mind at ease. Otherwise, make sure your doctor performs this tomorrow!

Good luck and try not to worry too much!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 minutes later
The pregnancy test shows positive so i can be pregnant while on implanon
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
If the pregnancy test is positive, then you are probably pregnant!

To confirm how far along you are, your doctor needs to perform a blood HCG test and an ultrasound.

And yes, as I stated before, you can get pregnant on any form of birth control - none of them are 100% effective.
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 hours later
One pregnancy shows positive and one pregnancy test shows negative and i dont know but my period is still delays
You have a doctors visit today. You need to review my prior answers where I have layed out what should be done at that visit. Good luck!