Owl Image

On immunosuppressant for autoimmune disorder. Have sore bumps on butt cheek. What is this?

Question
I am immune compromised and take immunosuppressant medications for an autoimmune disorder. I have five bumps to one side of my right inner buttcheek. They were sore to the touch but mostly it felt like a tight rubberband around my right upper thigh and ached. They did not blister though they looked like they had white caps after being flesh colored. I put neosporin on them last night and now they are flat and not sore anymore. What could this be?
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later
I'm sorry you're having problems. Folliculitis, which is caused by bacterial infection of your hair follicles, is the most likely cause of the bumps on your buttock. The bacteria that live on your skin are usually the culprits in a case of folliculitis. They gain entry to the follicles when your skin's immune barriers are disrupted by shaving, irritation, chafing, or moisture. Individuals who take immunosuppressant medications are more prone to folliculitis, too.
The fact that your condition improved with topical antibiotics is encouraging. It would be reasonable to continue using the Neosporin until these bumps have cleared. You can also apply warm packs directly to the bumps and the surrounding area. If they fail to clear completely within a week or so or if they recur, see your doctor to rule out other possible problems (e.g., a perianal or perirectal abscess) and discuss additional treatment options, such as oral antibiotics or surgical drainage.
I hope that answers your question. I'll be available if you have additional concerns.
Good luck!

Follow-up: On immunosuppressant for autoimmune disorder. Have sore bumps on butt cheek. What is this? 5 hours later
Thank you so much for your response. Do you think I should hold off on taking the immunosuppressant until the bumps clear completely?

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 10 hours later
You're most welcome.
I wouldn't change your medications without checking with your doctor first. Stopping some immunosuppressants suddenly can be XXXXXXX At the very least, you could experience a lupus flare; if you've been taking corticosteroids (one of several medications used to treat lupus) for a long time, discontinuing them abruptly can actually be life-threatening.

Follow-up: On immunosuppressant for autoimmune disorder. Have sore bumps on butt cheek. What is this? 11 hours later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 4 minutes later
You're welcome.

I would be very pleased if you can close this discussion (if all your queries are answered). Any feed backs are appreciated.