On estrace to build uterus lining for embryo transfer. What are the side effects of medication?

Dr. Dattaprasad

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: On estrace 2mg 2x a day. To build my uterus lining to prepare for embryo transfer. Of course when i look online it tells you the scary stuff of possible heart attack , stroke , becuae od blood clots. Can that in a few months ? Or do they mean over years, i looked it up several times but doesnt say how long to be on it for side effects , it very scarey. I am on a aaprin a day 81 mg bayer chewable to help. But i am scared.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mentioned side effects are rare.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Adverse effects of heart attack & stroke due to blood clots occur rarely. Mostly it occurs in people predisposed to clotting tendency OR those who are taking very high dose of estrogen. The dose you're taking will produce bblood estrogen level which is normally produced by developing follicle in woman's body in each menstrual cycle.
In fact we have prescribed our patients very high dose (3-4 times the dose you are taking) for prolonged periods & not seen a single case of heart attack or stroke.
Hope this helps you.
Let me know if you have other concerns.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E