On concerta for ADHD. Is this the right medication?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Imy granddaughter who is 16 and a half started taking concerta 54 mg each day. prescribed by one neuologist she was tested with a high level of adhd. wer went for second opinion as we weerent sure the effectiveness of drug second neurogist suggested trying dosage of 72 mg druggist was concerned that it was way too high for her my granddaughter weight was approx. 120 what do yu think
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: The dose is correct. Detailed Answer: Concerta (methylphenidate) is a safe and effective drug for treating ADHD. The usual starting dose is 18 mg and the dose can be increased to 72 mg per day. It is taken as a single dose in the morning. The maximum dose in adolescents can be 2 mg per kg body weight. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
So based her weight I gave you and her age is the 72 mg a safe dosage
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Based on her weight, the dose of 72 mg per day is fine. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)