On climara estrogen patch for 15 years. Should I be concerned about the health risks?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have been on the Climara estrogen patch for 15 years now but am concerned about the health risks associated with it. I am, however, on the smallest dose. When I try to go off of it, the hot flashes come roaring back. If you try to go off it, how gradually do you have to do so? If I "tough it through" will they stop? How long? Are there any other effective treatments, prescription or herbal.? I have had a hysterectomy, so am I able to use Duavee or is it any safer?. How likely are the health risks; do you have a % of likelihood?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Weaning off HRT Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX After 15 years of using the estrogen patch its going to take time to wean you off of the drug. You have to gradually reduce the dose and exposure to the drug. Its not effective to stop it completely suddenly. Your body has accepted the drug as part of it after so many years of use. The longer you use it, the more difficult it is to wean off. As far as health risks go, injudicious use to HRT does cause a risk of cancer in a woman. Uterine and sometimes breast. At 66, its important that you have a yearly check up while on HRT. To start with, if you're using the patch with the smallest dose, use it on alternate days instead of daily. Then space it accordingly. Now, non hormonal therapies are available to manage symptoms like hot flashes. Bisphosphonates, isoflavones, SSRI etc are used as such. However, you will need to get prescriptions for most. Duavee is a kind of estrogen again, so it shouldn't be used along with the patch. I would recommend that you wean off of HRT completely. And speak with your doctor about non hormonal treatments to treat hot flashes. The % of risk cannot be determined with examinations, tests and detailed history.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 44 hours later
llllllll
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: question Detailed Answer: Hello again XXXXXXX Please state your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 25 hours later
Thank you for your professional advice. My flashes are frequent and quite severe. If I endure through withdrawal, can I be assured that they will eventually stop? About how long will it take? Is there a chance that they will go on forever? Is it feasible to apply and reapply a patch every other day?? Where would I find Bisphosphonates and isoflavones?. I heard that Black Cohosh or slipprey elm may help. Any science behind that? Amberen?? Any other remedies or products that help? Thanks so much for you help!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cannot comment on the alternative therapy Detailed Answer: The hot flashes will eventually go away once the hormone levels go down. But since you have been using the patch for 15 years, the levels will take a lot of time to go down. HRT is not recommended for long periods of time, just for this reason. You can switch to minimal dose of estrogen oral tablets that will be easier to take and gradually taper dose. Whether you can endure the hot flashes, is again, up to you. Lots of women can endure it. But that again depends on your endurance. If it happens to cause a disruption in your daily activities only then is HRT recommended. Your doctor can prescribe the non-hormonal treatment as well. You will need a prescription. I cannot comment of the alternative therapies you have asked about, as its out of my scope. Besides no scientific studies published to support its claim. My advice would be to switch to the minimal dose of estrogen tablets(0.3mg is the minimal dose) and try taking them on alternate days. Gradually taper the dose as the symptoms are manageable, That can be done by increasing the gap till you can completely stop it. Meanwhile you can speak to your doctor about the non hormonal therapy. Hope this answers your questions. I will be glad to assist you further if needed. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad