Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

200 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

On cefdinir for swelling in forehead. Having loose stools and diarrhea. Should I continue the medication?

Answered by
Dr. Vivek Chail


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6593 Questions

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Yes, I am very limited in the antibiotics that I can take due to allergic reactions. Because of this I started treating them naturally, but this recent infection has gotten in my frontal sinus cavity and caused my forehead to swell. My ENT prescribed cednifer and within the first 18 hours I was delighted to have no issues but now I have loose stools/diarhea within the first 24 hours. Is it safe to continue this for the next 9 days with type of side effect?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
?Clostridium difficile diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I would like to clarify on the antibiotic name, it looks like Cefdinir (a cephalosporin) and not cednifer as written by you.

Take this medication by mouth, with or without food, usually once a day, or twice a day every 12 hours, or as directed by your doctor. Do not take more than the maximum recommended amount of 600 milligrams per day.

Diarrhea or nausea may occur. If either of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

My I make you aware that Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD) has been reported with use of nearly all antibacterial agents, including OMNICEF (cefdinir) , and may range in severity from mild diarrhea to fatal colitis. Treatment with antibacterial agents alters the normal flora of the colon leading to overgrowth of C. difficile.

If CDAD is suspected or confirmed, ongoing antibiotic use not directed against C. difficile may need to be discontinued. Appropriate fluid and electrolyte management, protein supplementation, antibiotic treatment of C. difficile might be necessary in few patients.

Please discuss with your doctor and follow as instructed.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Omnicef

doctor1 MD

i had a penis fungal infection about a month ago. Went to an urgent care the prescribed ketocanzole and clydmycin for antibiotic. They originally prescribed bactrim but I was on that already for broncial infection so they did clyndymcin. After a...

doctor1 MD

I was in ER last week with UTI and dehydration , woke up this morning with headache and nausea feeling bad overall

doctor1 MD

Son is 8 1/2 years old...having trouble urinating...will dribble a little, but seems to be uptight and not being able to relax and empty all the way...He is nonverbal and autistic, so hard to know what he is feeling...also, the head of his penis seems to be turning purple a lot lately, especially when he sits down to pee (which he does, sits instead of stands to pee). When he finally does go a lot, he seems to keep dribbling at the end of urination as well...My son takes Risperdal and Clonidine, has been taking Claritin, and is now on Omnicef for tonsillitis...

doctor1 MD

Good Afternoon, I am currently under my second month of antibiotic treatment for Lyme disease after showing a positive western blot last year. I am currently taking three different antibiotics three days a week. I started the new regiment of...

doctor1 MD

The pediatric prescribed Omnicef & Fenistil to my 3 month old baby... Is it ok to give them to him? I noticed that he pees in a less amount... e.g when he woke up today, nothing was in his diaper and he slept for almost 8 hours. He has taken 2 dose of Omnicef & 2 dose of Fenistil

doctor1 MD

Hi i recently had a kidney stone extraction and stent placement. I had two rounds of antibiotic. Was presented to the Er and placed on generic omnicef. I had terrible abdominal side effects and increased pain to my kidney pain. I was taken off it after 4 doses. The culture was negative. Two weeks out i have strange bowel movements. Clear and flesh colored mucus and now recently freaked me out! What looks like a 3 inch dull red vein in soft stool. Help

doctor1 MD

My daughter is 7 months 3 weeks old, and she has had chronic ear infections. She was put on an antibiotic (Omnicef) ten days ago and when we went back in today for her ear check, her ears were worse and had a green goey substance in them. What could this be?