On cefdinir for swelling in forehead. Having loose stools and diarrhea. Should I continue the medication?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Yes, I am very limited in the antibiotics that I can take due to allergic reactions. Because of this I started treating them naturally, but this recent infection has gotten in my frontal sinus cavity and caused my forehead to swell. My ENT prescribed cednifer and within the first 18 hours I was delighted to have no issues but now I have loose stools/diarhea within the first 24 hours. Is it safe to continue this for the next 9 days with type of side effect?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
?Clostridium difficile diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I would like to clarify on the antibiotic name, it looks like Cefdinir (a cephalosporin) and not cednifer as written by you.

Take this medication by mouth, with or without food, usually once a day, or twice a day every 12 hours, or as directed by your doctor. Do not take more than the maximum recommended amount of 600 milligrams per day.

Diarrhea or nausea may occur. If either of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

My I make you aware that Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea (CDAD) has been reported with use of nearly all antibacterial agents, including OMNICEF (cefdinir) , and may range in severity from mild diarrhea to fatal colitis. Treatment with antibacterial agents alters the normal flora of the colon leading to overgrowth of C. difficile.

If CDAD is suspected or confirmed, ongoing antibiotic use not directed against C. difficile may need to be discontinued. Appropriate fluid and electrolyte management, protein supplementation, antibiotic treatment of C. difficile might be necessary in few patients.

Please discuss with your doctor and follow as instructed.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek