On cabergoline for high prolactin levels. Having irregular periods. MRI showed pituitary macroadenoma. Any suggestion?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hi dr i have been suffering from high prolactin from last 4 years and also my mri showed pituitary macroadenoma. i have been regularly taking cabergoline but still my prolactin levels are not normal and also my periods are iregular. please help.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details Ma'm.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'm, Hi! As per your statement you are suffering from prolactinoma. You are on cabergoline already and you still have high prolactin and irregular periods. I need to know the size of your macroadenoma in the last 4 MRI starting from first before starting the treatment and now after four years, also the values of prolactin first and now. I would appreciate if you can tell me the values of other hormones as well that is - TSH, FT4, Cortisol, ACTH, LH, FSH, Estradiol.
How is your vision? is the macroadenoma big enough to reach near optic chiasma? Are you having breast discharge as well because of high prolactin? Please Tell me if you can so that I can answer you better. Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 41 minutes later
mam my all other hormones are normal and also my vision is normal. i also donot have any discharge from breast. I will also get my prolactin test this week and will attach the reports.

mam can u please suggest me as if homeopathy is successful in treating this problem completely.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Homeopathy is not my cup of tea.

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma'm, Homeopathy is not known to me. Please tell me if the size of adenoma is decreasing? you can increase cabergoline to thrice a week. regards!
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 18 hours later
Mam I need one more advice is watching tv working on laptop and using harmful for high prolactin and also is macroadenoma has any bad impact on health apart from irregular periods. Thanks a ton for ur advice
Brief Answer:
Screen time is not related to adenoma.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'm,

Screen time will affect your vision otherwise , not because of adenoma.

Second query, high prolactin can cause irregular periods because of two reasons 1. hormonal effect 2. mass effect.
If it is hormonal effect and is physiological then no it will not cause any problem other than irregular periods. But irregular periods will cause all features of early menopause. But if irregular periods are because of mass effect of adenoma, causing suppression of all hormones including LH, FSH, then it must be suppressing GH , TSH, ACTH as well.

In this case we must take an action depending upon the reports and the size of adenoma in last 4 years.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj