On breastfeeding. Had unprotected sex. Will it be safe to take mtpill?

Dr. Monika Choudhary

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Am nursing (breast-feeding) my 5 months old baby. 36 hrs back I had unprotected sex with my husband, and am concerned if I may become pregnant again. I do not want to become pregnant at this time

I visited the Gynacologist yesterday evening (before the elpase of 24 hour after intercourse) and she told me to take two tablets of NORLEVO 75. But I have not been able to source this medicine in any of the Medical stores. On informing doc she told me to source MTPILL and have 3 tablets immediately this morning.

The important dates are as follows:
1) Date of Birth of child = 7th Aug 2012
2) Date of bleeding thereafter = 10th Oct
3) Dae of 1st period (mensturation) = 30th Nov
4) Date of intercourse = 25th Dec (01:00am)
5) Date / Time as of this post= 26th Dec (10:00am).

There are two questions which is as follows:
1) Should I take this tablet now? or should I take this tablet on Pregnancy confirmation. I dont even know if I have ovulated
2) Since am breast-feedng, I want to know any adverse effect on the baby or future pregnancy.
3) What should I to take reduce the negative effect of this tablet on my Milk production quantity?

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX.
Thank you for putting up your problem to Healthcare Magic!
The method of preventing the pregnancy in your case is termed Emergency contraception. You can take two tablets called iPill by Piramal pharma/ ECEE2 from Zydus cadila/ PILL 72 from cipla all of which contain Levonorgestrel.
They are available over the counter and are best way to prevent pregnancy in your scenario. Ideally you should use barrier precautions to avoid pregnancy.
MT Pill is not advisable, it is used to terminate pregnancy and not for prevention and causes prolonged blood loss.
You should get any of the three brands I have mentioned as soon as possible.
There is no significant effect in milk of future pregnancy with levonorgestrel.
you should avoid taking unplanned tablets, rather use barrier precautions like condoms to avoid inconvenience.
I hope this information would be both informative and helpful for you.
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Thank you for your advice.

1) I could not get any of the tablets you have mentioned but got hold of POSTPONE-72 which also contains Levonorgestrel 1.5 mg (Single tablet). Can I go ahead and take this tablet? (am nearing 37 hrs after intercourse)

2) I also currently experiencing some form of mucous / white secretions from my vagina (it is not causing any pain or discomfort upto now)

3) Other than waiting for 6 hrs before breast-feeding baby, is there any other steps I have to take either for my baby or myself to negate any side effects of this tablet POSTPONE-72.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 20 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back.
Yes, you have got it!
You can take Postpone 72 one tablet of 1.5mg is sufficient to protect you.
Take it right now.
Mucus secretion is just a chance finding.
No other precaution is needed except to be aware for future to take barrier contraception.