On birth control pills and took Bactrim for UTI. Had unprotected sex without penetration. Should I take plan B?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I am 18 years old and have been on the birth control pill for almost two years. I am on the 28 day pill and keep up with it regularly. On Wednesday I started taking Bactrim (antibiotic) because I thought I had a UTI. I was supposed to take two pills a day for 5 days but after the first day I felt fine and did not take any more pills. I am on my period this week (brown pills/sugar pills). I had unprotected sex last night but he pulled out. I am wondering if I should get Plan B?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO CHANCE OF PREGNANCY. NO NEED PLAN B.

Detailed Answer:

From your sexual activity, there is no chance of pregnancy because:

1) You are on regular birth control pill for last 2 years which gives more than 99.9% protection.

2) You did unprotected sex during your period which is extremely safe and you can't be pregnant.

3) Your partner had practiced pulled out method and there was no proper ejaculation.

To summarize, you don't need to take additional Plan B emergency pill as you are almost safe and chance of pregnancy is extremely rare.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Wish your good health and always practice safe sex.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW