Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

On birth control. Started spotting after period. Noticed clots in urine. HPT negative. Any thoughts?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4047 Questions

Posted on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I had a regular period, then 3 days later I started spotting to the point I wear a panty liner at all times. The spotting is a mix of brown and then sometimes dark red. It's been 2 weeks now and it seems to be getting heavier. Now everytime I pee there are what looks like little clots in the toilet bowl. Also, when I wipe there are clots and brown stringy things on the toilet paper. I was on bc and started my new pack the day after I was off my period but have stopped taking them 3 days ago to see if it would maybe stop the spotting, but I have not seen any change so far. I took a hpt just to check and it was negative. I have an appointment to see my Gyno in 2 weeks, but trying to get an idea of what it could be.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 53 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I am trying to solve your problem.

Brown period discharge/ spotting is generally seen with implantation bleeding in early week pregnancy but vaginal discharges are not reliable indicators of pregnancy.

It may also occur due to hormonal imbalance associated with side effects of the birth control pill, thyroid disorder, uterine pathology (fibroid/ polyp) or old blood/ endometrial tissue mixed with concurrent period. Stress, weight change and psychological factor are other associated factors. But as it is continuing for more than 2 weeks, we need to investigate properly to rule out underlying pathology by physical examination & lab tests.

Here, first of all, I suggest to undergo one blood test for beta HCG & ultrasound scan for lower abdomen to rule out product of conception if any as early pregnancy test may give negative result.

In exclusion of pregnancy, some hormone assay, blood sugar, thyroid profile, vaginal swab test and urine examination (routine & microscopic) are essential to rule out other pathogens.

Complete treatment depends on pin point diagnosis. Therefore, I suggest to consult with your gynecologist regarding this for suggestive measures including proper medication. You may need to take hemostatic agent with combination of progesterone pill to get relief from this condition.

Do the following things that can help you along with medication:

1) Take healthy diet and drink lots of water, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Try to avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene properly including proper washing.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Thyroid

doctor1 MD

My mother age 54 years , weight 44kg, height 5'1", is have 180+ heart rate beat for few minutes ( happened 2 times in 2 months) and took water and calmed down. Visited doctor and he said could be psvt. ECG is normal, thyroid is ok. Please guide , any test which can diagonise. What are likely treatments? Can it be cured by medicine, as i have read that mnual physical prevention is only way. Please throw some light . Moreover, Is it serious heart threat for her considering her age?

doctor1 MD

hi,ima 20 yr old girl, 82kg, 168cm im a hypothyroidism patient. as a result i have pigmentations on my face...around lips, n also at the folds .. i take thyroxin 100mg, metformin 500mg, aldectone 50mg n droxin regilarise periods. pls help me remove this as soon as possible

doctor1 MD

II have fairly large swelling in the middle of my neck just above my adams apple. I have had thyroid blood tests and ultra sound scan all negative. Could it be a thyroglossal cyst? I know is not normal to have such huge swelling in my neck and now feel a bit worried. I can actually move it from side to side.

doctor1 MD

Hi: My 18 year old daughter was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a little over a year ago. She had a partial thyroidectomy and noticed this morning that where her incision is, really hurts. We live in Hawaii and she is at college in Seattle, WA. she said her pain is 7-8...what could it be? Just a little background: my younger daughter, who is 16 now was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer, but hers more advanced, she had a thyroidectomy two months after my older daughter.

doctor1 MD

my child is 21 months old and suffeing from constipation from long term. pedistrician told to use some laxatives from 10days as situation got worse ,but still no luck.we did use the back medicine for m otion after 4days while using laxatives. she...

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I'm a 69 year old female and I'm still getting hot flashes. Doctors say it's something like my internal thermostat is not working. Doesn't sound very specific, does it? A few days ago a hot flash came on and this time the cold sweat was...