On birth control. Ejaculated outside of vagina. Chances of getting pregnant?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Thu, 2 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello I am worried last night me and my girlfriend did some stuff then I ejaculated and got it on my hand, after wards we cuddled making sure I didn't touch her anywhere but we ended up holding hands (My hands were dry at this point) and she felt like she needed to adjust her underwear so she did and I was going to help and I touched her underwear for a second by her but(This was about 15min after me ejaculating), Me and her have both talked about pregnancy and we both agree that we don't want kids anytime soon. I am very paranoid when it comes to things like this even though she let me know that she has been on birth control for about 2months now I still did not want to have full intercourse. But my questions are could she be pregnant from that second she adjusted her underwear? Is that even possible if my hands were dry by this point? and how long can sperm live outside the body?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 days later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Sperm ejaculated outside the females vagina can live for a few hours, depending on the circumstances and the milieu i which it is deposited. If it in a humid warm milieu, it can even live for over 4 to5 hours.
In your case, it would really be a rare situation to actually consider the fact that she could be getting pregnant because either she was touched by your hands, or an issue of wearing an under wear.
The chances are too little.
I do not think its really a major issue to worry about now, the circumstances are too unfavorable to lead to an effective active sperm deposition in the vagina.
Thanks and best regards, Be calm.
Luchuo, MD.