On avanza for depression and anxiety. Is it safe to start duromine?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Depression
Question: I am taking Avanza for my depression and anxiety.. But now have started Duromine from another doctor. Is there anything I should look out for?
I also don't know what to do with my sudden mood changes, feeling angry for no reason.
I don't know whether I still need to take the Avanza?
I feel bad for continually bothering my Doctor. Are you able to help?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Please do not hesitate to consult your doctor as many times as needed , it's your right and a doctors responsibility and any doctor would not be bothered by it.
I assume you had been diagnosed with depression and anxiety before starting Avanza ( mirtazipine) a known antidepressant .In such case it should not be abruptly stopped without the doctors consent as it can as a rebound lead to the mood changes and further progress your depression.
Also , Duromine which is prescribed for weight loss can inturn have sideffects like depression and mood changes .
So both ways you have increased your risk of suffering from anxiety and depression.
Ideally I would advise you to consult your therapist and get yourself reassessed about to confirm the presence and severity of your anxiety neurosis.
Accordingly decision can be made wether to restart any antidepressant .
Further before starting duromine you need to discuss with your therapist regarding any changes required in the treatment to handle the likely sideefects of the duromine which are as follows,
-Weakness
- Euphoria (feelings of extreme happiness followed by depression and tiredness, nervousness)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Very dry mouth
- Bad breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Constipation
- Diarrhea
- Racing thoughts
- Fast speech
- Can become slightly out of touch with reality
- Slight personality changes
As of now you need to get back to your doctor as soon as feasible and discuss the above. In the meantime you can take your prescribed dose of avanza to handle the mood disturbances .Please be positive , with appropriate treatment you can have a healthy happy life ahead.

Hope I have answered your query .
I'll be available for any further queries.
In case you have no further queries kindly accept my answer to close the query.

Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 12 hours later
Thank you

The Avanza made me put on weight very quickly, so I was reluctant to continue to take the tablets. Things have improved since being the Avanza, so maybe I do need to be reassessed to see whether I need to continue to take the medication.

I work in a medical centre and closely along side the Doctor who is treating me, so I feel that I am continually asking things and bothering him.
I also think that he might see me as silly for stopping the Avanza. But like you said I have noticed the change in my mood since stopping it

I just don't know how to explain it all to him
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry . It is common for patients on antidepressant medications to default or stop medications due to sideeffects . Your doctor will surely empathise with you and not think of you to be silly or careless. The best you can do is to honestly explain whatever you feel no matter how silly it may sound and I am sure it will help your doctor to treat you better .
Remember that all medications have sideeffects so instead of switching medications repeatedly you should try to achieve the optimal result with minimal dosage . This can happen if you try lifestyle modification and counselling / behaviour therapy etc to cope up with your mood disorder .
A healthy diet , daily yoga or exercise , adequate sleep will help you to lead a better life and possibly be medicine free in future.
So go ahead and have a XXXXXXX discussion with your doctor and I'm sure he'll appreciate it.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries