On antibiotic for folliculitis. Noticed swelling in upper lip, jaws and cheeks. Any cure?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: I have been diagnosed with Folliculitis and taking two anti-biotics for 5 days. One for the folliculitis and one for mrsa (just in case). No culture was taken.
It is in my beard and moustache but not from shaving, I just recently started growing a beard and this occured about 14 days after I stopped shaving.
My upper lip is very swollen and now my jaws and cheeks are swollen. I have no fever and generally feel well except for the affected area.
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later

It would have been better if you have specified about what you wish to discuss.

Based on your report, you have folliculitis and you are taking two antibiotics without culture sensitivity test, one for folliculitis and other for MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus) Infections. It would have been better, if you would have received antibiotic after culture sensitivity tests. Nevertheless as folliculitis is commonly associated with staphylococcus infection, the antibiotic taken to cover "MRSA" should be able to cover for other strains of staphylococci.

Please verify the reports and modify your medications according to the sensitivity pattern.

As far as the lip and cheeks swelling, it probably suggests that infection has spread to adjoining tissue - a condition called cellulitis. Here the absence of fever is reassuring. It indicates that the infection is under control. Continue antibiotics as advised by your treating physician and follow up with the sensitivity report.

In the meanwhile you can apply cold sponging to the swelling; it will help in reducing the swelling.

Hope this answer your question. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Get well soon...

Dr Sadiq.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad