On antibiotic and missing periods. Can antibiotic treatment cause the delayed periods?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I was earlier on Flagyl antibiotics after my wisdom tooth removal surgery (on 25th Oct 2012 to be exact) and I missed my period which was due on 1st Nov 2012. I was again put on another course of antibiotics for 5 days to treat my dry cough on 12th Nov 2012 and still missing my period till todate. Could these antiobiotics treatments be the major cause of my period delay? By the way, I am not on any contraceptive pills, and have been practicing safe sex all along.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Based on your description, I don't think antibiotics could be considered as primary cause for delayed period - it is not reported to influence menstrual periods as significant as yours. In my opinion, you should get investigated for other causes of delayed periods. A sonography can help us identify the cause.

Even though you practice safe sex, pregnancy is still a possibility. It would be wise to take a urine pregnancy test.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad