On alupuirinol to reduce gout. Blood test showed high ALT. What does this mean?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Blood Disorders
Question: I just had blood test re:Creatinine--the results were AST (SGOT) 38 and ALT(SGPT). I am on Alupuirinol to reduce gout and have Ativan pills the past two evenings prior to the test. What does the high ALT represent?. Also, I had 4 Pints of beer last evening....
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 55 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

You have Told, that AST is 38. You did not mentioned the exact level of ALT. For a better suggestion, you should provide it as a follow up query.

Isolated increase of SGPT is indicative of hepatocellular damage. The most common causes of this increase are acute alcoholic hepatitis, obstructive jaundice. But, the level should be corroborated with the other findings of the liver function test. If the other tests are normal, then there is no reason to worry.

You should do an ultrasound scan and consult with an gastroenterologist for clinical correlation of the reports and for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank-you for your response--the ALT level was 72--I have been drinking quite heavily for the past while--if I stop should the level stabilize---and can it be treated with medication?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

The level of SGPT is higher than normal but not too much high. It can be controlled by life style modifications like avoiding alcohol and fast food.

You can also take some liver protecting enzymes. They are effective in this conditions.

So, follow the lifestyle modifications I have mentioned earlier and you must get some response.

Regards.