Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

146 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

On BP medicine. Getting fluttering sensation in lower calf. Should I be worried?

Answered by
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan


Practicing since :1966

Answered : 4506 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a "fluttering" feeling in lower calf. It happens frequently. Subsides on its own. No pain but is happening on a fairly regular basis. No swelling. I am on BP medicine which includes a diuretic. My BP is usually 120/80 (on low dose Micardis/HCT).
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 21 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

In all probability, there may not be anything to worry.

The veins won’t cause this fluttering sensation.
A clot has already been ruled out.

Artery could cause this sensation. . If so, it should be constant – unlikely to subside.

Hence, it is most likely to be muscle twitching (fasciculation).
This happens normally in many people and there is no cause for concern.
Since you are taking HCT, have your electrolytes (especially potassium) checked.
Also a look at calcium, phosphorous and magnesium may give a clue in some cases.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Fasciculation

doctor1 MD

Hello. 43 y/o male having fasciculations for over 3-4 months now. They are widespread but with a hotspot on my left proximal forearm. My other symptom is occasional numbness on left leg. EMG done and the Neurologist said it was normal and told me not to worry about ALS. NCS also normal. MRI of the neck showed a bulged disk on C5-C6 and another partially bulged on c3-c4. No babinski, no hoffman, no weakness. CMP, Aldolase, CK, CBC, Magnesium, ANA all within normal limits. Does the symptoms are because of the bulged disk or do I have Benign Fas. Sindrome? Is ALS completely ruled out at this point? Thanks.

doctor1 MD

Hi, about one year ago, I was operated on for the second time for a bulging disc (L5-S1). Three months after the surgery, my calf muscles commenced fasciculating. This worsened up to a point where now I have to sleep with a brace in order not to wake up in terror due to extreme muscle cramp in my calf. A specialist diagnised this as BFS (Bening Fasciculation Syndrome) but I doubt this since sometimes it s better or worse depending on how much sleep I had etc... Could this be the result of scartissue irritating the nerve at the L5-S1 position?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I think I'm getting ALS! I'm in Iran and have a bad mother! My father died of ALS, and I think now I have too. I'm 25 years old. can you help me? I have fatigue, some fasciculation in some parts of body (for about some minutes), atrophy and fasic in tongue and...

doctor1 MD

ive started getting twitching in my calfs and it is other places now. no pain just twitching. some time it slows down but doesn t quit.

doctor1 MD

Original problem: I had a septoplasty with bilateral inferior turbinectomy in Oct'15 (bony spur on left gauged out too). Prior to surgery, I had a tight pressing strain in the front of head for a month (sudden onset after a 12 hour travel), and...

doctor1 MD

Hi, vein in left thigh between knee and hip pulsates, I walk about an hour a day, on Lipitor 62 years old with a BMI at 24, Thanks XXXXXXX