Owl Image

On 6 depo implants. Had intercourse. Started pink discharge. Pregnancy test negative. Worrisome

Owl Image
Dr. Raju A.T

Question
I am 6 dpo, and yesterday i had a light pink discharge or blood o could not tell. I had sex the day of and before ovulation. Could I be pregnant. I took a pregnancy test today and it as negative, but could it be too early? What should I do ?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

1. Since when are you on 6 depo implants? - Well depo implants have been used for contraceptive purpose and it very well serves the purpose most of the times. Minor irregular / intermenstrual bleeds are associated with such depo preparations. Therefore, this would be my first explanation for the spotting.

2. It could be due to minor trauma to the vaginal mucosa inflicted during intercourse.

3. Lastly the possibility of pregnancy also needs to be considered. In pregnancy the earliest sign would be slight spotting due to implantation and invagination of the growing embryo into the endometrium which usually happens around 9 days after ovulation. Rarely it can happen as early as 6 days post ovulation and the duration of the spotting can range from a day to 5 days sometimes.

The pregnancy test done now is unreliable as the amount of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in the blood or urine would be below optimum to be picked by the tests. Therefore I suggest you to wait for a few days, preferably till you are due and get blood or urine tested to rule out pregnancy.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: On 6 depo implants. Had intercourse. Started pink discharge. Pregnancy test negative. Worrisome 1 hour later
no I am 6 days post ovulation. Could that be a early pregnancy sign?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Sorry I mistook 6dpo as depo injection.

For all practical purposes we need to rule out pregnancy in the first place. I still suggest to retake the urine pregnancy test after 72 hours and again after 48 hours to rule out pregnancy.

I mentioned earlier implantation bleeding can occur in pregnancy which could present as spotting or pink discharge for few hours to days. Other possibility for such pink discharge could be injury to the genital area during intercourse.

Wish you good health.