Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Obsession with sexual thoughts and poor concentration. Suggest treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1851 Questions
Dear Doctor, Seem to obsessed by pornography and sex,almost everytime am infront of the computer i try to find opportunity to view something sexually stimulating and then watch the content until self gratification and then either sleep or move on to something else. This is really troubling me i try to control my sexual appetite but finding it very difficult ,difficult to focus on anything else, Is there any remedy or medicine that can help me control this before it becomes XXXXXXX ,it also leads me to contact prostitutes for sexual gratification thankfully it has been safe uptil now. Need help so that this does not become a habit that cannot be broken. Am a sex addict and what can be done to control this. The category is wrongly selected as eating disorder. I think this should be something else.Is there any center in Mumbai that can help such ailments so that if there is a treatment that can be done on a continuous basis.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You appear to have sexual obsession. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 34 year old male • Complaints of: Obsession with sexual thoughts and poor concentration From your query it appear that you are having excessive sexual thoughts which is leading excessive porn watching and poor concentration. Your condition may be due to sexual obsessions, in which person has excessive, intrusive and stressful sexual thoughts leading to compulsive actions to seek sexual gratification. Obsessions occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment from psychiatrist to get well. There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behavior therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. In drug treatment of sexual obsession and excessive sexual impulses, most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. These medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect. Following steps will also help you: -Inform psychiatrist regarding sexual obsessions in detail. -Do not come in trap of sexual thoughts and never do unprotected sex. Paid sex carry high risk of sexually transmitted diseases like HIV and syphilis. -Involve your some family members/friends in treatment implementation in form of supervision by them for internet use. Inform them about your plan to stop porn watching. -Do not have downloaded porn content in hard disc or laptop and delete them now itself after receiving my reply. -Fixed your internet use hours. For that it is better to cut unsupervised internet use as much as possible. -Write hours of internet use daily in calender, monitor it and reduce hours gradually. It will also provide you feedback for progress. -Follow these advices strictly I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Obsession with sexual thoughts and poor concentration. Suggest treatment 5 minutes later
Dr XXXXXXX Thank you very much for your opinion. Could you advice a good online cognitive therapy based sessions,that can help me overcome this. I am constrained on time due to my jobs hence would prefer a online medium for such interaction which would be anonymous as well as flexible for me to undertake anytime. Any advice would be highly appreciated for any such service in Mumbai around Kandivali east area of a reliable psychologist.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. In my opinion in person CBT is better. But sometime due to busy schedule, not possible for everybody. You can follow this link for online CBT: In my view, You should visit psychiatrist first and according to psychiatrist advice you can visit psychologist in your area. In kandivali east you can visit psychiatrist: Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Address: 1/1, Shant Manor , Chakravarty Cross Road Kandivali East, Mumbai -0000 Contact: 022 - 0000/0000 Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor