Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Observing significant loss of flexibility and strength in legs and knee. Diagnosed deficiency in vitamin D. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 589 Questions
Hi, I am 29 yrs old Male. My height is 183 cm and weight 92 kgs. fr the last 6 months i have been observing significant loss of flexibilty and strenght in my right leg. right knee.
It always hurts when streched also my friends have told me i have started limping a little. i am left handed so my left side is stronger but my right leg has less flexibility and also the part between knee and ankle hurts. the muscle under the right knee is more pronounced. my right calves and hamstring hurt when streched.
pls guide. 1)what could be cause of this?
2)limp is starting to bother me.
3) I was diagnosed mildly deficient in vit D for which i took some sachets.

Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later

I am sorry for your pain. As I understand from your symptoms, there can various causes like bursitis, tendonitis, ligament tear in the knee joint particular if there is history of any trauma and few more. If you were my patient, I would do a physical examination particularly concentrating on range of movements and the amount of movement restriction. Based on the physical exam findings, I would order X rays initially as primary investigation and if nothing is detected and still I suspect on of the above mentioned things, I would order an MRI of knee as well (since knee joint is a very complex structure and x XXXXXXX is not fully enough to detect minor things).

I advise you to recheck your Vitamin D levels one more time. The normal range according to new research studies is 30-100 ng/mL. The best test for it is 25-hydroxy vitamin D test.

Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor