Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Observed small sack near anus. Problem in controlling urine. Born with spina bifida. Guide

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
My son who is 3 years old. I observed he has a very small sack near the anus. Is that a problem? He is also having problem of controlling urine. urine flows in drops without his knowledge at times. He was born with spina bifida and went through surgery on day 2. The doctor who has conducted the surgery has recommended to consult a urologist on consulting for control of urine and motion. I am posting this online for advice on how to proceed with kind of issue. Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 56 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
It is not easy to manage such a child, at home, i know. You also need to understand that this is not a problem that can be solved by a single consultation.
He needs evaluation by NEUROLOGIST/ NEUROSURGEON and a PEDIATRIC surgeon.
The neurologist assess his neurological status and his chances of recovery from the spinal disorder.
The pediatric surgeon will assess his chance of recovering his bladder and bowel sensations.
Essentially, it is necessary to wait for the neurological status to improve and whether any surgical procedure will help him recover faster. This is decided by the neurosurgeon.
The pediatric surgeon after clinical examination will do special studies to evaluate his bladder status - like cystometry (uro-dynamics).
Also it necessary to keep his bowels smooth and avoid constipation.
THE SACK IS PART OF THE SPINAL PROBLEM and had to be managed together with the spinal disorder.
Hope this helps,
Wishing him best health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Observed small sack near anus. Problem in controlling urine. Born with spina bifida. Guide 1 hour later
Thanks sir for your response. I have wrongly mentioned in the question as sack near anus, but Actually I am referring to scrotum below the penis. The size of the scrotum is small and I do not feel the two balls i.e., testicles on touching scrotum. Is it normal for children at age 3 or I should be referring to a specialist? Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
welcome back.
One or both testes may not have descended from the abdomen ( Normally the testes develop within the abdomen and descend into the scrotum at birth.
At times, one or both may not come down and may be retained inside. This is called undescended testes.
Only a careful clinical examination can diagnose the condition.
It is not normal.
So, it is wise to see your doctor early.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor