Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Obese and having schizophrenia, taking treatment. No heart problems. What do you suggest?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
Good Evening. I had a younger brother die this year in May 4th over a heart diseased full heart attack. He was two years younger than me at age 55. It was quite a shock to our family as he was about to become a grandfather. He had high blood pressure and was taking medication for it. The oldest sibling is going to see ( she's one year older than me) a cardiologist. I was advised to seek a new family physician because the one I'm seeing won't administer the C-Proactive Protein blood test to see if I have any heart inflamation. I just had a blood test for diabetes and my blood work was fine. I have no high blood pressure problems: however I'm very obese and I have schizophrenia being controlled with medication. I've been working 35 years for the federal government and I want to retire in several years. What do you suggest I do? I'm confused right now as to what course of action I should take. Also I have to get a colonoscopy: however I'm too unstabled on the CPAP machine and I need clearance from a lung Dr.--a pulmonologist I'm going to see this Thursday afternooon. I don't know if I can get an answer on my Dad's computer. In case I don't, please Email me at work at YYYY@YYYY . Thank you. I have high pressure in my eyes and I take eye drops to bring the pressure down or else I would loose my vision. That's about it. Should I keep going to the same medical practice or as I was advised by a nurse and my sister, a physical therapist to seek out a new doctor's practice who'd recommend me to get that specific blood test. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Sorry to know about the untimely death of your younger brother at age 55 years and your concern for screening heart disease in you.

I understand you have a few medical conditions as listed below:
1. Schizophrenia: which is under control through treatment.
2. Obesity: for which you are taking CPAP and are getting treated.
3. Ulcer and GERD: on treatment
4. Asthmatic: (?) on treatment
5. Raised pressure in your eyes (glaucoma): taking eye drops to control y the situation

Also mentioned is your consultation regarding colonoscopy and associated clearance by a pulmonologist.

Coming to your main query, regarding your concern for cardiovascular (heart) disease, C reactive protein is one of the tests that will tell any increased risk to diabetes, hypertension and heart disease. Well it is only one of the tests and other tests like ECG, echocardiography, serum lipids and cholesterol need to be done as a screening for cardiac disease. Depending on the risk and your fitness a coronary angiography can be done in the XXXXXXX lab or by CT scan.

I would suggest you to have a discussion with your doctor on all available tests to screen heart disease and not only C reactive protein. If the other tests are allowed, you may continue consulting your physician.

Hope your query is answered.
I would be glad to answer further queries that you may have

Wishing you good health
Dr. Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor