Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Obese. Trying to conceive but all in vain. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
Hi My age is 31 and I got married last year in May. I am trying to conceive but all in vain. I am obese. Please help
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more information....

Detailed Answer:

I need more information to help you.

1. Are your cycles regular? Let me know if you have a very irregular cycles?
2. Do you have any associated medical problems especially diabetes and thyroid issues?
3. Have you discussed about this concern with your doctor - did you undergo tests? If yes, may I know the results.
4. May I know your current height and weight?

Awaiting your reply...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Obese. Trying to conceive but all in vain. Suggest? 1 hour later

I have irregular cycles. Sometimes i get it after 6 months.
I have undergone tests but there are no signs of diabetes and thyroid.
My height is 4.9 and weight is 60+.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to be investigated...

Detailed Answer:

Very irregular menstrual cycles with overweight suggest that you possibly may have polycystic ovarian disease. Here in this condition ovulation can fail to occur which in turn affects the chances of pregnancy. You will need to be investigated further. If you were to be my patient, I would order test which includes, serum FSH, LH, Prolactin level along with ultrasound scan / follicular scan. The test needs to be timed as per your menstrual cycle. Most of the test needs to be done on the 3rd day of cycles.

Hence if your last menstrual period was long ago, I suggest you to consult a gynecologist and discuss your concern. She can start you on pills to induce period and then plan other tests as described above.

I understand the difficult you face. But be least worried, with proper and thorough evaluation a fruitful results is possible.

I hope you also test your partners semen (semen analysis).

As you plan to visit a gynecologist, I recommend you take folic acid 5mg tablets once a day. Start diet and exercise to reduce weight. It will benefit you.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Obese. Trying to conceive but all in vain. Suggest? 13 hours later
How will folic acid tablet help me
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It prevents developmental defects...

Detailed Answer:

Folic acid is a vitamin. It has no major role in correcting/treating infertility issue. However prenatal (before pregnancy) and early (first trimester) pregnancy use of folic acid prevents neural tube defects of the fetus. Therefore it is recommended that every women who is planning for pregnancy takes folic acid supplement before the actually conceive.

I recommended folic acid to you, for the same benefits.

You are advised to visit a gynecologist and get all the tests mentioned in my previous reply. Based on the results you can plan for successful pregnancy.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor