Numbness in hands, fingers with Lisinopril. Is it a side effect?

Dr. Nirmala P

Posted on Sat, 25 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Numbness in hands, fingers with Lisinopril -5mg. This is the third day on this medication. Taking for high
blood pressure.Is this a symptom during adjustment period.
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Hi.
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Although side effects of drugs varies in each individual according to their sensitivity, every drug has few well documented side effects which are more common in a majority of people. As per that list, numbness in hands is not a common side effect of Lisinopril. Dry cough, increase in potassium level and alteration in taste sensation are the common side effects.

Numbness. pricking sensation, tingling or pins and needles sensation are rare side effects of Lisinopril that usually disappears as the treatment is continued. As you have mentioned this symptom occurs in some persons during adjustment period. But if it continues for more than a week then you should consult your treating Dr. to rule out if the numbness is actually due to the drug or due to resistant hypertension (high BP) .

Lisinopril is more effective for heart disease than other drugs belonging to its group (ACE inhibitors). It has a longer duration of action and does not result in sudden fall in BP after the first dose like other ACE inhibitors.

I hope this helps.
Regards.