Owl Image

Numbness in extremities after sitting. Test showed low sodium and low choride level. What's wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have been noticing increasing numbness in my extremities after sitting. My blood tests show low sodium and low choride. does that have anything to do with it?
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Numbness in extremities can be a symptom of a wide variety of diseases, disorders or conditions that either restrict blood flow or cause injury to the nerves.

Temporary leg numbness can occur after prolonged pressure on a nerve or nerves, such as after sitting cross legged.

As such low sodium and low chloride level in blood does not have anything to do with numbness in extremities. Low level of vitamin B12 or low potassium level can cause numbness.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon