Numbness in cheek after smoking a cigarette after a gap. What could be the cause?

Dr. Qazi Ammara

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I am trying to quit smoking after over 30 years. In a moment of weakness I had half a cigarette and my right cheek went numb. Answer?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

Cheek numbness is decreased or absent sensation in the cheek. It occurs when nerve does not carry sensation from cheek mucosa to the brain. It can be due to mild or even serious causes. Can be a swelling of the nerve or diminished blood supply to the nerve. A physical examination by a physician during the episode can help figure out the cause.

Some other causes of cheek numbness are nutritional deficiencies, allergic reactions, exposure to chemicals, electrolyte imbalance.

I would suggest you to:

-Stop smoking completely for few days and observe the changes.

-Take multivitamin tablets, take a glass of orange juice daily so that electrolyte
imbalance is corrected.

-Avoid alcohol and food causing allergies.

-Avoid stressful conditions.

-Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

-Take a balanced diet and drink plenty of water.

If the symptoms persist even after 5-7 days or even worsen, visit an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and get clinical evaluation done.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health!

Regards.

Dr Qazi Ammara.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Qazi Ammara 2 days later
Numbness in the left jaw (under chin in the area of the carotid) lesser numbness of the left cheek. This comes and goes. Sometimes accompanied by pain-felling of pressure in the temple area. Is this of serious concern?

Thanks for the reply.

It is a difficult task to diagnose the cause of on and off numbness. However as you mentioned you have numbness in the jaw along with cheeks, there are chances of swelling and diminished blood supply to facial nerve in that region. Pain in the temple region can be related.

A direct examination by an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon during the attacks, will determine the severity and narrow down the possibilities. I would suggest to get an clinical examination done and if neccesary get the x-rays done. Please follow the instructions mentioned above.

Hope this helps out. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Qazi Ammara.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad